Part I – Life in the Church at Ephesus (Acts 18: 19-21; Acts 19:1-20)
1.. Paul’s second missionary journey occurred in Year 51. (See Acts 18:19-21)
Who travelled with Paul to Ephesus? P _ _ _ _ _ _ _ and A_ _ _ _ _ ?
How long did Paul stay on this first trip to Ephesus?
Did P _ _ _ _ _ _ _ and A_ _ _ _ _ leave with Paul?
Yes or no – did Paul promise to come back to Ephesus?
2. We do not know much about what Priscilla and Aquila did for 4 years in Ephesus but we do know that they taught A _ _ _ _ _ _. What did they teach him? About J _ _ _ _ , his D _ _ _ _ on the C _ _ _ _ and the power of the H _ _ _ S _ _ _ _ _ (Acts 18:26
3. In his 3rd missionary journey Paul returned to Ephesus and stayed in from Year 55-57. When he first arrived in Ephesus he met some disciples (See Acts 19:2-7.
a. What did Paul ask them?
b. How did they answer?
c. When Paul hear their answer what did he do?
d. How many disciples were present?
e. What happened to them as Paul prayed over them?
4. Paul spent 2 years teaching in the city. What were his main accomplishments?
b. (19:13- 18)
5. When Paul was about to leave Ephesus for the last time what happened? (Acts 20:36)
They all P _ _ _ _ _.
They all C _ _ _ _ or W _ _ _.
They all E _ _ _ _ _ _ _ and they all K _ _ _ _ _ Paul.
Part II – The Mystery of Christ Revealed (Ephesians Chapter 3)
6. Paul was called the Minister to the WHO? (Ephesians 3:1-3)
7. What is the mystery of equality that was being revealed to Paul?
9. According to Paul, where can angels – in the heavenly realm – learning new things about God and his plan? (Ephesians 3:10-11)
10. When Paul prayed for the Ephesians what were his 4 essential prayers?
a. To S _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ you by the P _ _ _ _ of the H_ _ _ S_ _ _ _ _ (v.16)
b. For C _ _ _ _ _ to D _ _ _ _ in your H _ _ _ _ _ (v.17)
c. To comprehend the how W _ _ _ and L_ _ _ and H _ _ _ and D _ _ _ is the L _ _ _ of G_ _ (v.18)
d. To Know the L _ _ _ of G _ _ surpasses K _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ (v.19A)
11. When Paul prayed for the Ephesians what was his primary goal?
That you may be F _ _ _ _ _ with the F _ _ _ _ _ _ of G _ _ (v.19B)
Part III – The Spirit of Christ Community
12. Paul lived in Community. Of the people we know – only the ones listed in Scripture – they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and they gave away what they had received in service to the Lord and the church.
These men and women were part of Paul’s Community:
Timothy – Perhaps Paul’s most trusted brother
Priscilla and Aquila – loved by Paul
Apollos – great evangelist
Luke the Evangelist – Paul called him, Our dear friend Luke, the doctor” (Col 4:10-11). “Only Luke is with me” in Rome (2 Tim 4:11)
Persis – Paul said she worked hard for the Lord (Romans 16),
Phoebe – She was trusted by Paul to deliver his letter to the Romans.
Gaius – travelled with Paul and Aristarchus (Acts 19:29) and others (Acts 20:4).
Aristarchus of Thessalonica (Acts 19:29; 27:2) was called Paul’s fellow laborer and fellow Prisoner (Colossians 4:10 and Philemon 1:24)
Epaphras – a fellow servant” a co-worker with Paul (Colossians 1:7)
who was with him in Ephesus?
Onesimus – a slave to Philemon. Set free.
Silas – accompanied Paul on his 1st and 2nd missionary journeys. “A faithful brother” (1 Peter 5:12). Was set free from prison with Paul in Philippi. Travelled also with Timothy.
Trophimus – with Paul on his 3rd missionary journey and with Paul in Jerusalem
Tychicus – accompanied Paul to Jerusalem. Likely with Paul in Rome. Built the Ephesus church. Paul called him “dear brother and faithful servant in the Lord”
John Mark with Paul and Barnabas on their missionary journeys. Wrote the Gospel of Mark. He caused the division between Paul and Barnabus – that was later resolved
Barnabas – a beloved brother and fellow evangelist;
Sopater – disciple who travelled with Paul and others
Epaphroditus – delivered Paul’s letters to the Ephesians, Philippians, and Colossians.
AND, this does not include the Jerusalem church – with Peter, James, John and others
13. Their covenant is similar to our covenant
A. Be filled with the Holy Spirit; grow in the Spirit; pray unceasingly; use the gifts
B. To live a Holy Life – putting off the old self and putting on the new self in Christ
C. To spread the Gospel and build the Church
D. In Summary, “That we might live for the praise of his glory” (Eph 1:12)
14. Paul’s 4 point prayer for the Ephesians is our prayer too:
a. That God would strengthen us all by the power of the Holy Spirit
b. That Jesus would dwell in our hearts
c. That we would know how wide, long, high and deep is the Love of God
d. To Know the love of God surpasses knowledge.
So that we might be filled with the fullness of God (Ephesians 3:19).
15. Paul’s way of life (as described in Ephesians 4-6) is our way of life.
Paul knew that God wanted a people he could call his own.
He knew that the Holy Spirit was sent to help us live according to God’s will.
He understood the Lord’s call: to love one another as he loves us.
He cared for the poor. He took up collections for the poor
He accepted the call to go out and preach the Good News of Jesus
16. We are a community of disciples on mission with other communities around the world.
A community – brothers and sisters in relationship living a specific way
Of Disciples – Jesus is at the center of every area of our lives
On Mission – To share the love of God through evangelization and to people in need.
This is a glorious way to live – in a world that is increasingly independent and isolated