- Is this the offseason? In some ways maybe…
- In sports, the offseason is about putting in the work behind the scenes.
- Nick Saban’s practices known to be more difficult than games.
- The work behind the scenes, the training, the preparation becomes evident on “game day”.
- What can we do during the offseason?
- Pursue holiness. (always… especially when God tells you to)
- The passages from 2 weeks ago, Nov 2nd.
- Ephesians 5:25-27 – Jesus wants a holy, spotless bride.
- Acts 5:1-2 – Give everything to God, don’t hold anything back.
- Romans 12:1-2 – Be transformed by the renewing of your mind.
- John 3:17-20 – Come out of darkness and live in the light of Jesus.
- Philippians 2:3-5 – Be selfless like Jesus and serve one another.
- Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship.Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. (Romans 12:1–2)
- According to this passage, what does holiness look like?
- Holiness is God-centered: Remembering God, Pleasing God, Seeking God
- Holiness looks like a life of worship and being transformed.
Holiness Pleases God
- We want to please the people we love. Their pleasure is a powerful motivator.
- Christine, what would bring you pleasure? Walk, bike ride, tv show?
- We can be joyful when we’re making sacrifices because we know what we’re doing will please the one we love.
- We can be happy doing the dishes as a service for our family member.
- When we make choices for holiness, it brings God pleasure.
- Which motivations to pursue holiness do you find the most powerful?
- Martin Luther’s story about the young man and the hermit. The young man told the hermit about his struggle with unchaste thoughts and other sins. “You cannot prohibit the birds from flying over your head, but make sure they stay in the air and do not build a nest in your hair.”
- Since we believe God is calling us to pursue holiness, what’s one area of holiness you can pursue this week?